March 13, 2007

English Log 4, A year in the Merde


Image by www.amazon.fr


A year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke - Chapter I
Amazon is fast and cheap. That's the reason I' loving it to use McDonald language.

A few days ago I ordered "A year in the Merde" by Stephen Clarke after having read a few reviews - I think I mentioned this before in a previous post.

This afternoon I finally received the book and instantly began reading it. (Not that I had nothing else to do but compared to reading a book on macroeconomics it seemed quite a good option to begin Clarke's oeuvre.)


Being half-french therefore knowing the french culture or at least recognizing it when made fun of I had a great time devouring the first chapter. The destcription we got in class as this book being a "LOL - Laugh Out Loud" book is definitly true! More than once I had to put the book aside and calm down again so I could continue reading.

For those that have not chosen a book yet, I can absolutely recommend this one. If you've already been to France once or more you'll recognize many stereotypes or maybe even situations you lived through and laugh even more. Another, for us language learners, relevant aspect is the very fluent style this book is written in. I could read over 50 pages without having to look up many words in the dictionnary to understand what it was all about (altough I underlined more than one word per page - but they were not very important to understand what Stephen Clarke was trying to say) and, more importantly, without wanting to stop reading. Unfortunately, my macroeconomics class is coming up soon, so I decided to switch to this very last one.

The update on new vocab will follow soon!

No comments: