March 9, 2007

Log 1, 9.3.07

A few things I did for class today:

Today I copied the English script for the whole class at the copyshop.... It's amazing how heavy 100*24 = 2400 pages can be.

The second thing I did for class was to look up a few reviews of Pico Iyler's "The Global Soul", onw of the books some of us might read this semester. By scimming through an interview with Pico Iyler I could get a pretty good picture of what the book might be like. There seems to be an awfull lot of information about culture, life in general and travel experiences in the first part of the book.
Iyler describes The Global Soul that way: "I begin deliberately with those dizzying surfaces and passageways - movement, an inundation of data, which I think refelcts how the world is today..." "... the book is about the passage from speed to slowness and surface to depth"(citation: www.powells.com/authors/iyler.html)
I think that those few lines tell a lot about the book, maybe even about the style and the philosophy of his book. Reviews always mention that many places are referred to in the book, and that The Global Soul is about the quest for a place where people like Iyler can feel at home. A quest for a place merging as many homes as possible. (Pico Iyler is an ethnic Indian who grew up in the US and GB, now he lives part-time in California and Japan).
For further information see: www.amazon.com/Global-Soul-Shopping-Malls-Search/dp/0679776117

Third, I ordered "A Year in the Merde" by Stephen Clarke at amazon.at...

... Well and now I'll try to understand "chinglish",.... (Yuppie!)

No comments: